So, you have decided to propose to your girlfriend. Congratulations! This is an exciting, nerve wracking time for you and there is a lot of prep and planning that needs to happen in order for you to pull off the perfect proposal. Of course you want to make sure that everything goes right and that you think of a great, unique proposal. You want to make sure it is memorable and that she says yes. And, of course, you want to make sure you find the perfect ring that is worthy of her and your relationship. The best way, and perhaps the most special, is by designing a custom engagement ring, but where do you start? And how do you know what she will like? Here are a few tips from finding out her tastes without giving it away.
- Take a look at her current jewelry collection. Does she have more silver or gold? Does she like big, statement pieces? Does she like smaller and more dainty jewelry? Does she have any items she wears daily? This will give you an initial idea of her style, as well as what you might need to match a ring to.
- Many women keep Pinterest boards of things they like. Find hers and browse through. See what kinds of style she likes, the celebrities who she admires and more. If you are lucky, perhaps she even has a board of wedding ideas. You can easily take these pictures to a Denver jeweler as a point of reference when you go to design a ring.
- If you happen to be watching a show or movie together that shows a ring on screen. Make a comment about it to prompt her. Something like “Wow that’s a big ring” will hopefully get her to tell you her opinion too. Make a mental note of what she says about it as well as whether she likes or dislikes something about it.
- If you have a good relationship with her friends, ask one or more of them to help you out. They may even be able to come to a consultation with you to help you streamline a few features and get going in the right direction.
- Trust your gut. If you are asking her to marry you, you know her well. You will have a better sense than you know about what kind of engagement ring she will love. Start by talking to a jeweler and having them show you a few rings. Pick out a couple you think she would like and use them as a basis to customize a ring. What are the things you like and dislike about each? What are the things that seem like “her”?
Buying an engagement ring is always a little scary, and especially scary when designing it yourself. Remember though, the extra effort of doing so will make the ring even more special. Your fiance will love to show the ring off and tell her friends and family that her future husband knew her so well that he designed it himself.